If you're looking to share a laugh with a friend, swap parenting survival tactics and generally feel affirmed that, yes, you're doing fine, then you're in the right place. Welcome!

Friday 30 November 2012

The Quilt: Get A Life

Some of you may wonder, why a quilt? Well, last winter I was taking stock of my life (a terrible idea, by the way) and I realized that I have no hobbies. Yes, I have activities, memberships and interests --which I see as all being purpose-driven.

But I wanted something that's just for fun, that I can daydream about, that's stimulating without adding pressure.

Fascinating, you say, but it still doesn't explain why a quilt? Well, I opted to make a quilt to help me get a life because: 
  • I can sew (note I did not say I love to sew. Some people do; I, on the other hand, have a functional --and sometimes antagonistic-- relationship with my sewing machine);
  • I can work on a quilt in little, tiny increments in between interruptions;
  • I am attracted to the historicity of quilting and its place in women's experiences;
  • and, finally, I feel no urgency to complete such a project (other than meeting a self-imposed deadline), as no one will suffer if it takes me until eternity.
Plus, I like pretty fabric. Another added bonus is that there's a large (very large, it turns out) community of quilters and fabric artists online. Inspiration, tutorials and encouragement abound.

In case you're wondering what kind of quilt I'm making, the design is called "Liberty Coins" from the book Quilts Galore by Diana McClun and Laura Nownes (1991).

If you've embarked on a similar journey, share! I'd love to hear about it! What are you doing, and where do you find encouragement?




amazon.ca

(My quilting will have to take a break for the next month, as I'll be occupied with Christmas-related projects. Details to come!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...