If you're looking to share a laugh with a friend, swap parenting survival tactics and generally feel affirmed that, yes, you're doing fine, then you're in the right place. Welcome!

Sunday 14 October 2012

The Quilt: For Once, I Won't Channel Liz Lemon

photo from nbc.com
Tina Fey as Liz Lemon
(link to one of my favourite clips)
My partner's favourite show, hands down, is "30 Rock" with Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin. And one of his favourite lines is when Fey's character recites a list of her recent summer accomplishments, including starting a quilt, and Baldwin replies,"You'll never finish that quilt." To which she grudgingly retorts, "I know!"

For the uninitiated --a category I include myself in-- quilting can seem like the Sisyphean task of sewing: labour-intensive, never-ending and, ultimately, futile. I marvel whenever I see a completed quilt. Having confessed this, you can understand why I've been reluctant to admit that I've started a one.

I've kept it a secret because I gave myself a deadline to finish of two years, and I wanted to be sure that I could produce on schedule. When I began the quilt two years seemed like a generous amount of time, but that was back in January. Yes, as in 10 months ago. And so far, I have... cut out a bunch of little pieces of fabric. Faith in my ability to complete this project started to waver.

Until this past week! I... S-E-W-E-D...!! (Horn fanfare, please.)

Do not let my renewed enthusiasm mislead you: I (still) have lots more little pieces of fabric to cut, and I really need to get the lead out if this quilt is going to get done before global warming makes it irrelevant.

But, I now have hope. And I resolve that I will not Lemon out! (Stay tuned...)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...