If you're looking to share a laugh with a friend, swap parenting survival tactics and generally feel affirmed that, yes, you're doing fine, then you're in the right place. Welcome!

Wednesday 16 May 2012

Don't Worry, We All Stink

In the past few weeks, I've had several mummies confide that they've been feeling like they're not measuring up. These are great mothers --loving, conscientious, hard-working, generous-- but they feel like everyone else is in on a parenting secret that they're not. Well, I have three secrets of my own to share:

The Realistic Mummy's 3 Secrets of Parenting:

1. No one does it all. Certainly not all the time.

2. Most questions or quandries in parenting do not have one right answer.

3. All mothers --at least all the ones I know-- periodically feel really insecure about how they measure up compared to other mothers.

These realities are, in fact, the very reason I started this blog. Because there's lots of information out there on how we can do better, and that's great. But there's not a lot on how we just make it through. And a hefty portion of being a parent boils down to surviving.

When I'm out with my four boys (and sometimes a dog) I regularly have people comment, "I don't know how you do it!" Well, I'm not exactly sure what "it" is, but I am sure that "it" is NOT what I'm doing. What I am doing is surviving, and being the best loving mother that I can.

I look at other mothers and their areas of strength, and I am inspired and intimidated all at the same time. I try to be realistic in adopting and adapting new ideas. And I feel despair when I fall short of the targets I set.

We all feel this way.

When that nagging self-doubt hits, remember that kids (and families) are unique entities; what works for one family doesn't mean it works for you. Give yourself a fighting chance by taking care of you; it's amazing how some rest, a shower, a chat with a friend or a brisk walk outside can change your thinking. Remember the ways, big and small, that you show your kids you love them; that's what really counts.

And, don't forget, we ALL feel this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...