If you're looking to share a laugh with a friend, swap parenting survival tactics and generally feel affirmed that, yes, you're doing fine, then you're in the right place. Welcome!

Thursday 21 June 2012

Dining on Table Scraps

This evening, for dinner, one of my boys ate the end of a cucumber and an apple core, both intended for the compost bin. That's all. Yes, really.

The context? Well, first I must share that I have a firm policy on eating at dinnertime. If my kids do not want to eat dinner, that's okay; but once dinner is over, the kitchen is closed until breakfast. With four young boys, I do not wish to open myself to becoming their personal short-order cook, on-call at any time.

Tonight, one of my three-year-olds was not interested in dinner. Fine. After our bedtime routine, and as I was carrying one boy to bed, the three-year-old in question announced he'd wanted to eat dinner.

He ran downstairs while I was bedding the others. When I followed him into the kitchen, he pointed at his empty plate (I'd put the leftovers away already). I explained that dinner was done and that he must wait for breakfast.

Upon registering this news, he --screeching all the while-- grabbed the only edible morsels still on the counter: the butt-end of a cucumber and an apple core.

I felt a strange mix of emotions as I watched him gnaw at the cucumber remnant and nibble at the apple remains. On the one hand, I was horrified that my stalwartness was causing one of my darlings to consume table scraps in lieu of a meal. On the other hand, I admired his resourcefulness and was thankful that he had landed on a solution that allowed us both to "win."

He did accept going to bed relatively quietly after that. And, he probably won't try for dinner after-the-fact again... Or at least not for a long while...

3 comments:

  1. the cucumber end does look a bit thin, but there's plenty of flesh left on the apple "core" -- many years ago, i won an apple-eating award from my late aunt by leaving the smallest core ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, true. I remember the boys' doctor saying, "They're healthy, and they won't starve by going to bed hungry once in a while." As middle-class Canadians (wait, that's still a category, right?) our children are not in immediate danger of wasting away... Count our blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I bet, "D," it was some of your early experiences that readied your palate to truly appreciate fine fare! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...